Thursday, July 23, 2009

And The TableScrap Goes To . . .

Andrea! Yet another 'Volunteer We Can't Live Without!' Everybody who volunteers or works with United Animal Friends surely knows Andrea well . . . she does SO MUCH! Among her many, many roles with United Animal Friends, Andrea most notably is our Adoption Events Coordinator and our Pet Food Bank Coordinator / Delivery Person. These are massive, huge roles! Each week, Andrea organizes volunteers and transport for all of the UAF adoption events. She transports, handles and manages events too! Andrea's work with the UAF Pet Food Bank is also a very intense job - one that takes her all over Arizona and allows her to meet people who are struggling to feed their animals and help them relieve that burden by providing them with free, donated pet food. Andrea's also a member of the new UAF Volunteer Committee and actively participates in all fundraising campaigns. Finally, Andrea is in charge of updated the Petfinders database with all incoming and outgoing dogs. Whew! She calls herself a 'failed foster,' but we think that just means she loves too much too let go. Here's how Andrea sums up her motivation for volunteering:

"I do what I do because of my love and compassion for animals. I have always had animals in my home. As a small child, I would bring home anything lost or hurt including kittens, puppies, rabbits, rodents, birds - anything that needed someone to help it. I joined PETA and Green peace back in the 70's because I was saddened by the horrors of whale and seal hunting & laboratory testing. I was a 4-H member at age 8, until I was told I needed to slaughter my rabbits. I never understood how you could raise an animal to trust you and then kill it.
Well, to sum it all up I have not changed very much. I still want to help everything, now even people. Education is the key to helping more animals. Its so rewarding taking pet food to people who are struggling to feed their animals and knowing it really helps. Also, seeing a dog get adopted that wouldn't have the chance without the networking of UAF. It's a great feeling. Rescuing puppies from a shelter e-list with one day to spare is the best!
I wouldn't change what I do for anything. I love UAf and its strong values. If I could wish for something it would be for more fosters and more adopters to help us save more animals. All of us as part of the community need to be responsible for the well being of the animals in this community."

4 comments:

  1. Andrea stands in the far left of the picture above . . . she and her fellow UAF cohorts saved 11 ANIMALS from certain death in Kingman just this week! She stands happily with some of those lucky dogs. Thanks for everything you do, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea we couldn't do it with out you!!! Your drive and energy keeps us all going! Thanks for all you do for the volunteers and all the animals...
    Now stop kissing those kitties and get back to work!
    Joellyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea is the spirit of UAF! What an awesome lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rarely does one come across a truly remarkable, special person like Andrea.Her energy,her amazing ablility to do the work of four people.Her unselfish ablitiy to help every animal she can. I am always amazed at how much she does.This is the only person that I know that can almost be at two places at once.She works hard and long every day.
    UAF and the animals are so fortunate to have this exceptional person in our organization. UAF is a wonderful animal rescue in the true meaning of the word rescue and really does have a wonderful group of volunters.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete