Friday, May 8, 2009

And The TableScrap Goes To . . .

One of the goals of the TableScraps blog is to help all of us rescue folk get to know each other a bit better. After all, the more familiar we all are with one another, the more successful we'll be in developing rescue networks and relationships throughout Yavapai County. This was the impetus for the newest blog series to TableScraps, in which we'll spotlight individuals who work with UAF and other rescue / animal outlets here in Yavapai County.
This week's TableScrap Goes To: JOELLYN
As a full-time volunteer, Joellyn manages adoption events, keeps track of incoming and outgoing dogs at Prescott Animal Control (along with taking new dogs' pictures), and manages transport for animals in and out of the valley. Perhaps most significantly, Joellyn manages the UAF email distribution lists (a huge job!), thereby connecting UAF to hundreds of other rescue groups in Arizona, the southwest and the country. Joellyn works to evaluate UAF dogs for proper placement and she works with local vets and other rescue groups to help rehabilitate and place animals. Joellyn explained her motivation:
I've always wanted to work with dogs and have been around them my entire life. I was a wild-land firefighter and got involved with ADS as a volunteer to help set up shelters in times of evacuations...Nancy Vargo, the President of both ADS and UAF, asked the ADS group if they could help handle dogs at an adoption event in Sedona, well little did I know what I was getting into! Well three years later and I am still handling dogs and much more for UAF! I have been involved with the spay/neuter program and many fund-raising events and I pretty much go where I am needed. I love animal rescue; it seems like it's a 24/7 job but it is the most rewarding job I've ever had. My pay is not in monetary terms it is in soul gratifying terms. I love placing the right dog with the right family knowing how much joy and unconditional love they are going to receive from that dog.I have 5 rescue dogs and get so much love from each one...I could never see a time in my life where I wouldn't have a dog or five!

2 comments: